Thursday, January 18, 2007

I've been illin' the past couple of days... a boring old flu. Sick, single 'n' self-pitying, that about sums it up.

Anyway, for some time I've been meaning to catalogue all the stupid statements I hear in the course of doing yoga. Most past comments I've let go in one ear and out the other like so much drivel, so the comments will only be updated as I hear them. However, there was one comment made by yoga teacher Kathryn Beet in a class I took several months ago that was so flaky as to be literally enraging. I almost walked out of her class. The scene: We are lying on our mats at the beginning of class and she's walking around and among us, speaking in her mesmeric, hyp-mo-tizing voice (v. similar to the "poetry-reciting" voice I heard so much of in my tenure as a Creative Writing student), and she says: "I want you... to feel... as grounded... as an elephant. Elephants... are so grounded... they can communicate with each other... through the vibrations... in their hooves."

*photo by Kendall Gelner

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home