Sunday, March 12, 2006

Things That Everyone Likes

... Except Me.

The other day Thor and I were trying to think of things that all our friends liked (or people in our peer group, to be more precise) but we hated. I had a short list, but since so many things make me cranky, it's just a matter of time before it grows.

1. Sex in the City. I just don't get it. It's like a Disney fairy tale for grown-up girls, with sex. And if you're still going "So?", I have nothing to say to you.
2. Coldplay. Whiny white guys.
3. The Spanish language. I'm learning it 'cause it's useful, but inexplicably, it gives me the creeps. Why couldn't Italians have colonized half the world instead? That's a great language!

In the interests of being positive, something I'm really really trying to do more these days (Disney comments notwithstanding), I could start a counter-list,
Things That Everyone Likes, Including Me.

1. Ikea
2. No Logo, Naomi Klein
3. Yoga
ZZzzz. This is so predicable, it hurts.

So let's try
Things I Like that Nobody in My Peer Group Likes

1. America's Next Top Model. OK, so some people I know like this show. Well, I'm mentioning it anyway because it needs more exposure. Watch this show. It RULES. I so want to be on it as, like, their plus-age model. I would be so fierce.
2. Sacred steel gospel music. This shit's so funky, you could remove wallpaper with it. Also, Aretha's Amazing Grace album. AAARRGHH!
3. Paul Theroux. Although I've never really talked about him with anyone.

Great Things That Defy Categorization

1. Singing along to a favourite album at the top of one's lungs
2. May
3. Bicycling on residential streets at night in the summer
4. Any dessert involving coffee and chocolate
5. Dogs
6. Nicholson Baker
7. The BBC, and their accents
8. 1950s advertising
9. The rug I bought six years ago
10. Sleep

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home